Data Logger Suite: Logging and Monitoring
MODBUS power meter data logging (easy method)
My goal is to read values from a power meter with MODBUS RTU or MODBUS/TCP.
- Advanced Serial Data Logger Professional, Enterprise or trial version for MODBUS RTU;
- Advanced TCP/IP Data Logger Professional, Enterprise or trial version for MODBUS/TCP;
- Power meter with MODBUS RTU or MODBUS TCP.
It is assumed that:
You have configured the communication settings on the device:
- MODBUS TCP - IP address, Subnet, Gateway. You must assign a static IP address for the device.
- MODBUS RTU - baud rate and number of data bits.
1. Open the configuration window for the "MODBUS TCP" or "MODBUS RTU" plugin accordingly (fig. 1).
Fig. 1: Configuration window
2. Click "Action - Add from registers map" (fig. 2).
Fig. 2: Selecting registers map
3. Select necessary registers (fig. 3).
Fig. 3: Registers map
4. Adjust the polling interval as you want.
5. Click the "OK" button. The program will build one or more requests and add them to the queue.
6. Enable the "Export data for all requests at once" option.
7. Specify the same device address in the "Device address" field (fig. 1) for all requests.
- RS-485: if you've connected several devices to the RS-485 network then you may specify several address like 1,2,3,4,5
- MODBUS/TCP and Ethernet: the device address should be "1". In the TCP settings you must specify an IP address for each MODBUS device separately.
Find the register map for your MODBUS device:
If your device is not in this list please search in our database (specify full name: manufacturer and model number):
Built-in register maps:
MODBUS RTU, MODBUS ASCII, MODBUS/TCP
- MODBUS RTU/TCP polling: Configuring master station (MODBUS RTU, MODBUS TCP, requests, response items).
- MODBUS poll: How to make sure that the application sends requests and receives responses?
- MODBUS poll: How to view register values, not raw MODBUS packets?
- MODBUS polling: How to make sure that the application correctly interprets the responses received from the device?
- MODBUS polling: How to view MODBUS register values in a more easy-to-grasp form (graphs, indicators, and so on)?
- MODBUS: How to combine the data of two requests?
- MODBUS: What is the right way to poll multiple devices?
- Controlling PLC coil registers status using MODBUS TCP (MODBUS data parser, custom scripts, events generating and handling).
- MODBUS to MSSQL: Writing MODBUS registers to separate columns
- MODBUS to MySQL: Writing MODBUS values to MySQL database
- MODBUS to database: Writing MODBUS RTU/TCP values to a database
- Sentron PAC 3200: MODBUS TCP Data Logging
- MODBUS power meter data logging (easy method)